yupo & casein

From: Gordon J. Holtslander ^lt;holtsg@duke.usask.ca>
Date: 02/06/06-05:41:40 PM Z

Hi:

Bought some Yupo paper. Tried doing casein dichromate printing on it

It shows some promise. The casein bonds/hardens onto the yupo - but it
doesn't appear to hold much pigment. prodcued a very flat image - flatter
than gum. The unhardened casein/pigment disolvers away cleanly though

used 10g casein (scientific grade powdered casein) to 70 ml water & 30 mls
ammonia.

Does not coat nicely though - it just tends to pool onto the yupo paper -
I think when I coated it, I wiped off most of the mix just to get an even
coating.

Will try a higher concentration of casein.

Tried using casein and gum - but the mix flaked and bubbled off when
processed.

No preshrink or sizing - and dries in a few minutes. Nice and quick - if
I can figure out a good coating technique.

Gord

Gordon J. Holtslander Dept. of Biology
holtsg@duke.usask.ca 112 Science Place
http://duke.usask.ca/~holtsg University of Saskatchewan
Tel (306) 966-4433 Saskatoon, Saskatchewan
Fax (306) 966-4461 Canada S7N 5E2