Re: Nikon D200 (for alt)

From: Peter Marshall ^lt;petermarshall@cix.co.uk>
Date: 02/07/06-04:03:54 PM Z

Pam,

I don't think you can really generalise sensibly on CMOS vs CCD,
although too many have done so. Fringing is certainly not limited to
CCD, and I think may depend more on other aspects of the design,
although I think all sensors suffer to some extent. Purple fringing
isn't a great problem on any of the DSLRs I've used, only noticeable in
a small percentage of images with ultrawide lenses, and can usually be
greatly reduced if not eliminated by software. I can find images that
show it in my collection, but I can't think of one print I've made that
shows it. Similar pictures on film would show various defects as well of
course, including a similar amount chromatic aberration, but also other
defects such as halation. Not to mention grain. If film was the new
technology we would all be getting worked up about that and how it
destroyed image integrity.

The good news is that cameras such as the Nikon D200 and Canon 5D give
us rather better than normal 35mm quality for what even a few years ago
would have seemed a ridiculously low price. The D70 which I used for a
year or so was a good 35mm replacement and cameras of this quality are
now very cheap (mine cost me around $750 almost 18 months ago.) The D200
is really a very nice camera to use, the first digital I've felt this
about; a decent viewfinder, every control you need to hand, great
autofocus and no noticeable shutter lag. I don't expect to be shooting
any normal 35mm film now, there is just no point. My Mamiya 7 still has
an edge, though I think that's more to do with the lens than the fact it
is using film, but I wouldn't bother with 645 any more. I'm assured the
5D is less noisy at high ISO, but the D200 certainly beats film by a
large margin in that area too. I'm still shooting 6x12 too.

Regards,

Peter

Peter Marshall
petermarshall@cix.co.uk