Contemporary Tintypes

From: Best, Dianne ^lt;dbest@hydro.mb.ca>
Date: 02/17/06-07:09:01 AM Z

"Is anyone out there making contemporary tintypes?"

Been there - went to wet plate! Much less frustrating.

I worked with Rocklands "tintype" process for over a year before I got
fed up with their developer (more "bad batches" than good ones and
Rockland just doesn't give a sh!#) and went into wet plate collodion.

I DO like AgPlus and do quite a few different things with it (in a
negative process, without their crappie reversal developer).

I use my colour tempering bath and a small jar to hold the AgPlus at 110
to 115 degrees F while I am working. I also pre-heat the plates to a
similar temperature and then spread the AgPlus with a very soft paint
brush. While the AgPlus is still liquid, I tilt the plate around to even
out the coating and hold the plate until the AgPlus starts to gel.

I made myself a plate rack that goes into a lightproof box with a small
fan that circulates outside air and dry the plates 24 hours. There's a
picture of it here:
http://www.geocities.com/diannebest/Tintypes/tintype.html

After working with AgPlus for awhile, I made myself a "coating plate"
that is a sheet of galvanized metal with a spiral of copper tube
soldered to the bottom. The copper tube hooks to my darkroom water
supply and I can select HOT (about 140F) while I warm and coat the plate
and then switch to COLD to set the AgPlus. It works like gang busters
but probably isn't worth the effort if you are only doing a few.

Dianne