Re: spectral sensitivity of platinum/palladium and cyanotype coatings.

From: wcharmon@wt.net
Date: 02/21/06-10:10:14 AM Z

My approach is admittedly not as 'pure' in the sense of trying to find out
which particular ink pair works the best. But I do think there is some benefit
to using black ink to increase the UV transmission density for processes like
Van Dyke and Salt. I have no difficulty at all making negatives with enough
density range to print Van Dyke, which is something I found difficult to do
using the straight PDN approach, especially on the 1280.

One thing I haven't had the time or inclination to investigate is the fact
that the ternary diagram I use has some colors that are 'out of gamut' for
some printers. I suppose this could cause some non-linearity in the
transmission density response as the amount of black ink is varied (By
changing the saturation). It is not something that has yet caused a problem,
though.

The approach I have been using is certainly a 'stone knives and bearskins'
method that may not be the last word in precision, but it works for me and the
workshop students who have used it.

Clay