Re: using a scanner as a densitometer?

From: Ryuji Suzuki ^lt;rs@silvergrain.org>
Date: 02/23/06-12:21:37 AM Z

I used MATLAB because that's my language, and price has not been an
issue because I use MATLAB for a LOT of other things (such as
computing odds for Texas Hold'em). For the sort of applications
discussed here, you only need a student version (USD100) and image
processing toolkit. Their statistics toolkit and signal processing
toolkit are useful but one can program necessary piece in not much
time, I suppose.

Anyway, the point in my previous post was that, without averating of
multiple pixels, the measurement error may be acceptably high. With a
reasonably large measurement aperture, I get repeatable reading to
0.01 density unit. How you manipulate the numerical data is
unimportant as long as the data are processed correctly.

I have no experience, btu Octave is a well known knock-off for MATLAB.