Re: Re:Stouffer wedge (was VDB is "Brownprint" process?)

From: Yves Gauvreau ^lt;gauvreau-yves@sympatico.ca>
Date: 02/23/06-11:17:07 AM Z

Hi

I wonder if using a "normal" step tablet (Stouffer) is really the way to go
when you are doing digital negative either with a printer or with an image
setter. My reasoning is that I assume one is trying edit the scanned image
on screen and then print a negative of this "final" image, yes there are
adjusting curve and others involved in the workflow but the essential is not
density it's pixel values and how they translate from screen to printer, to
the print (process dependent) and back to screen with a scan. Translating
pixel value to density equivalent is not needed IMHO and I would add, if you
make your own step tablet on the same material you would use to make your
negatives you are further reducing the number of variables to adjust. In
other word it would be simpler and less prone to errors of all kinds. With
this idea in mind I have made a step tablet with a value of only 5 as step
delta and a small continuous gradient adjacent to these steps. I understand
finding proper exposure may be a bit tricky but I could simply use a
"normal" step tablet side by side with my own and get the best of both
worlds sort of speak.

It just happens I'll try this approach later today for VDB.

Regards
Yves