Re: Digital Sucks - off topic

From: Greg Schmitz <gws1_at_columbia.edu>
Date: Thu, 25 May 2006 23:40:02 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 25 May 2006, Ender100@aol.com wrote:

> Have you found that you make the same living while continuing to shoot film
> as you have in the past? Clients don't mind? Do you scan the film then for
> clients?

Mark, It's hard for me to say what clients want here as I'm new to the
Alaska market. In general, from what I've seen here and in NYC, digital
has reduced the demand for professional photographers -and- perhaps
reduced slightly what clients are willing to pay, at least in small local
markets. If I need scans I let my lab do it.

> It sounds like you had a most unusually good experience with film/cameras in
> your career... and a bad one with digital. I'm not sure either is
> representative.

I do think my experience is fairly representative. Since I'm using
cameras and lenses from many different manufacturers I would assume that
if mechanical equipment were prone to failure I would have experienced it
by now (I do have my equipment serviced on a regular basis). On the other
hand I've seen lots of electronic equipment, including my own, fail with
regularity.

> Does the useless digital camera have a useless digital warantee?

Unfortunately, the warranty has expired.

> Clipped highlights with digital cameras is a common error people make, but
> easily avoided if you have tested your camera.

Yes, but based on my observations I don't think digital handles highlights
(clipped or not) as well as film.

> Best Wishes,
> Mark Nelson
> Precision Digital Negatives--The Book