U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | oops

oops

On Fri, 23 Mar 2007, Pam Niedermayer wrote:

As to Adobe and Framemaker, when they bought Framemaker's owner (too long ago to remember the particulars), I begged them not to wreck Framemaker. Three years ago I begged Adobe to not kill the Mac version. I think those are the only two things I've ever requested of Adobe. At least they didn't wreck it.
Judy writes:

One moral of this story (among many) is, do not write about technical matters when your mind (or its simulacrum) is elsewhere. Obviously I conflated Framemaker and In Design.... which is not to exculpate either one of them, but does impair discussion.

My only experience with Framemaker was when a then-guru put it on my computer and let all those bouncing red squares & rectangles loose. (That was "Framemaker," no?) My reaction was, I am not the "genius" who could design anything while beset by moving geometry, least of all in red.

And Pam, for all I know either or both of those programs were as fine as you found them -- for your purposes. For my purposes, the one I used (In Design) simply and purely sucked !

Judy

Pam

Judy Seigel wrote:

On the bright side, the Pagemaker word processor is excellent, does everything MSW 5.1 did, & right there in the file for laying out, no need to import. Framemaker, however, was a fraud... I understand that the new version *is* compatible with old PM files, but the early version wasn't, being Ingeniously Designed (abbreviated as "In Design) so that an existing Pagemaker file would be impossible to fit -- say a column would come out 2-1/2 lines too long, or a rule would go right through the line it was supposed to underscore...And In Design lacked the delicate controls to fix/adjust that (let alone fine tune/nuance rules, et al, as PM did). IMO it was deliberate, to orphan Pagemaker.