U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: oops

Re: oops

I think Framemaker would have been perfect for composing and laying out Post-Factory, or any other magazine or book or manual, no red dots or bouncing rectangles. Superficially, it looks like a word processor, but with sophisticated style sheets that, once you get into is wonderful. And these days you can do some trick stuff with web publishing, etc.

InDesign I never tried, heard it wasn't all it could be. I also used Quark for advertisements since it was the only electronic form accepted by all the computer rags at the time, it was pretty good. I suspect that if Adobe wanted to kill Pagemaker, which certainly deserved to die, it was because the code was old and patched to high heaven, very hard to maintain.

I have this affection for well written software, there's so damn little of it out there, and hate to see it maligned. Thanks for your retraction. I also have this thing about poorly written, buggy, software like that produced by MS, for which I have nothing but disdain. It's hard to believe they call themselves professionals at anything besides brutish business practices.

Pam