U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: Lightroom (was Re: Adobe Photoshop CS3 update)

Re: Lightroom (was Re: Adobe Photoshop CS3 update)

Eric,

I think you may be condemning it mainly for not being something it never set out to be. It is a program for importing and processing RAW files, and creating a simple database of them.

It can create 16 bit per channel TIFF files from these - which is the largest format needed. I regularly use it to create 50Mb '8 bit' TIFFs, as well as 'full size' very high quality jpegs at around 5-10Mb (both Adobe RGB for repro use and also for my own printing) and of course small sRGB jpegs for web use. It does these things several times faster than other software I own, and rather more conveniently. I just can't imagine what else you might want it to make from RAW files.

I do think it has limitations as a database and I've had a few problems with very large databases, though it is currently doing fine with well over 50,000 images. But I suspect some of the problems I've had were of my own making and I think I really need to work out more how to use this aspect of the program rather than blame it. I can live with it as it is.

But it is great to be able to add IPTC data including keywords automatically on input, and it can make getting your images catalogued by other software more or less automatic.

There are other features that I'd like to see in LR, and the release last week of a preview SDK to enable developers to work on plugins is great news for LR users - more significant than the relatively minor interface improvements in 1.3.

The file browser in PS7 was useless - and I soon disabled it, though I understand it is better in later versions, so perhaps Adobe have learnt from their experience.
I'd still advise any photographer using a camera that can shoot RAW to get LR.

Regards,

Peter

Peter Marshall - Photographer, Writer: NUJ
petermarshall@cix.co.uk _________________________________________________________________
Re:PHOTO                     http://re-photo.co.uk
My London Diary http://mylondondiary.co.uk/
London's Industrial Heritage: http://petermarshallphotos.co.uk/
The Buildings of London etc: http://londonphotographs.co.uk/
and elsewhere......

Eric Neilsen wrote:
I suppose that I work in a different world than you. Yes, LR does allow you
to process RAW, and it interfaces with PS very well. What it doesn't do very
well is act as a data base archive for your images, specifically your large
image files.
When I say sRGB, I am not specifically targeting that color space, but more
a workflow; One that is intended for quick cheap output to RA4 process
prints and typified by a small sRGB file format for output. It still can't
read non maximized PSD files or large TIF files. At least it does now give
you a way to export to txt file a list of those that didn't import.
Peter, I have based my comments on use from beta two through the 1.2 release
as 1.3 is just too early in release to completely comment on. If you are
thinking of using LR as a data base to manage your archive, you may want to
seriously consider another program. If you are using it to process your RAW
files and interface with PS it mostly works fine. I have had major time used
up by Adobes' lack of skills in data management. They may know how to
process an image, but when they try to handle files like with the browser in
PS7, life gets sticky quick.

Perhaps they'll come out with a FINE ART version but I am not holding my
breath. Eric

Eric Neilsen Photography
4101 Commerce Street
Suite 9