U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | RE: Lightroom (was Re: Adobe Photoshop CS3 update)

RE: Lightroom (was Re: Adobe Photoshop CS3 update)

Peter, Condemnation is a bit strong. I don't recall reading in the ads, or
hearing Adobe tell us that this was NOT meant to be used by Fine Artist with
file that exceed 100000 pixel. I don't recall them advertising that all non
maximized PSD, a native Adobe format, would not be honored by this Adobe
program. I don't recall them saying large tif files would not be honored.
Their focus ha without a doubt has been on processing RAW files for many
cameras. Great. But they were also strongly touting their file system, which
for me has crashed several times.

One may not need flexibility in processing a variety of RAW files, and Adobe
may not be using the best conversion of those files. Perhaps, I should have
said consider your purchase strongly, but I think don't may have gotten
their attention a bit faster.

What do I want to do with files? Keep track of all my image files, not just
ones small enough to be exported by LR but those that have also been worked
on to make prints. The industry has a massive failing by catering to forces
that don't share a fine artist' needs. Apple, Epson, Adobe, MS have for
years been struggling with good integrated control over print engines.
Looking at pretty, and some not so pretty pictures on a screen is one thing,
but having them come to life in print and be able to keep track of those
files is something else. This group is based on printing, not processing RAW
files. This is where LR needs more help and development. I believe the only
way to get the developers attention is to get the users from this side of
the track to demand more complete packages for OUR needs.

Eric

Eric Neilsen Photography
4101 Commerce Street
Suite 9