From: Judy Seigel [mailto:jseigel@panix.com]
Sent: Saturday, September 06, 2008 4:13 PM
To: alt-photo-process-l@usask.ca
Subject: Re: Gum website update

On Sat, 6 Sep 2008, Diana Bloomfield wrote:

> No, it really doesn't "all depend," Don.  You show me a *flat* $10/month
DSL
> connection (and one that is more than a short-term introductory offer),
and
> I'll be the first to step up and say I was wrong, and you're brilliant.
But
> I'm here to tell you that you will *never* find a $10/month *flat rate*
for a
> DSL connection-- not in *any* universe.
>
> I haven't had dial-up in years, and would certainly give up using a
computer
> if I had to go back to one,  so it's no big deal to me.  I just think a
> misleading statement like that ought to be corrected.  So there. :)

I second the motion, Diana... and -- hey Don -- some things have to be
"taken seriously" or we're all captive consumers.  I'd rather use a paper
cup and a piece of string than feel *compelled* to use anyone's "system."
And, for the record, I'm still on dial-up (nyah nyah), though I do have
another service I don't understand, but it seems to be a combo of Mac's
mail program and daughter's router. She's 2 floors overhead and both her
father and I (also visiting dignitaries) can log on for free with the
password, and "download" and "attach" to our heart's content.

But here's a question: When you say "download," do you mean download an
image onto your desktop, or just view the images on the website? In my
experience, viewing is different (immediate) from downloading.

I'll add BTW, that we used to have several possible wii hosts nearby, for
instance, "Two Big Fags" (or maybe that was "Three") and Apt 15, that
weren't password protected and very handy in emergencies, but now the
daughter's connection seems (knock-on-wood) trouble free.

HOWEVER, though it's handy for attachments, images, et al, that Mac Mail
program makes me want to sell my Mac stock... it's stupid beyond belief,
and beyond all patience, non-intuitive, clunky, clumsy, and generally
tiresome, awkward & annoying to use. If I had to do daily text on it, I'd
simple and quick. (I'm told, btw, that techies use it -- it figures.)  In
comparison every other mail program I've ever used is a kludge.

J.