U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | RE: acorns(!)

RE: acorns(!)

Loris,
WHat a beautiful print. While the colors are not photo-realistic, they are absolutely convincing. What I mean is that if you were to post the original photo we would say  that your interpretation is so different. Well, I think that is the point to print a "different print". I just adore the background that has a mix of random pigmentation.

It seems that your stripe pattern is only evident in the magenta negative. It is quite distractive from the randomness of the background. I wonder why that is the case.
It seems that you have arrived at a very balanced combination of pigment ratioes, gum thickness and exposure/development.
Do yo need any more encouragement?
Hope to see some more work
Marek

> Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2008 13:37:27 -0800
> From: kthayer@pacifier.com
> Subject: acorns(!)
> To: alt-photo-process-l@usask.ca

> Thanks for sharing your progress, Loris. A couple of questions:
>
> (1) what is the background color supposed to be? Is it white except
> for the shadows under the figures, or is there some tone there?
>
> (2) remind me what you use for size?
>
> The reason I'm asking these questions is that I'm not entirely
> convinced that what you're calling stain is actually stain, but I
> need a little more information to be more confident about what I
> think is going on.
>
> I can't quite see the relationship between what you've said you've
> done here and what you said you were proposing to do, but that's okay
> with me. I'd rather see you (or anyone) making gum prints than
> getting lost in calibration and testing, and besides, it's more fun
> to make pictures. (I can say this after spending some time a year or
> two ago printing calibration charts myself).
> Katharine

Store, manage and share up to 5GB with Windows Live SkyDrive. Start uploading now