U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | long term storage of chemicals

long term storage of chemicals

Judy wrote, "I recently, for instance, threw out a large hunk of ferric ammonium citrate because it had turned into just that -- a really hard, solid hunk."

For the first cyanotypes that I made, I used some ferric ammonium citrate that had been in my father's darkroom for at least half a century.  It was "a really hard, solid hunk" in the bottom of an old glass jar.  I used a hammer and chisel to chip out pieces to use.  It took a while to dissolve but worked the same as the product in powder form which I buy now.

My suggestion would be to never throw out old chemicals until you have tried them out.

Suzanne Izzo