U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: Coffee bean grinder + Chris's prints & blather

Re: Coffee bean grinder + Chris's prints & blather

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jack Fulton" <jefulton1@comcast.net>
To: <alt-photo-process-l@usask.ca>
Sent: Wednesday, November 12, 2008 5:46 PM
Subject: Coffee bean grinder + Chris's prints & blather

Eric and company: What do you know about the keeping qualities of chemicals in general when they're bought in bulk but not used right away? I recently, for instance, threw out a large hunk of ferric ammonium citrate because it had turned into just that -- a really hard, solid hunk.
I'd think, Judy, you could buy a cheap coffee bean grinder and whirl that stuff to death to make it usable. Outside of course. Just a thought.

While on that, Does the old link to Engelhard (bought out in '06) in Alabama still work to purchase the least expensive silver nitrate?

Now there's talk of, for instance, 60 pound supply of whatever -- would you use, say a pound a month? That could still be 5 years... On the one hand, I'm using an old supply of ammonium dichromate, maybe 30 or 50 years old, and it seems fine... but on the other, there was that FAC. Is there any general info on the topic ? Is it reliable ?
Some Ferric Ammonium Citrate has hardened on me before and I just smashed it up and it worked fine as it is quite soluble. An odd fact in Wikipedi-ing it was to find it is used in a Scottish soft drink, Im- Bru @ a .002% amount. No wonder we so enjoy the plaid and bagpipes.

Other chemicals I've used have gone off or bad such as Metol (from age and oxidation), Pot. Bromide (age . . but parts still usable) and Glycin.

While on the aspect of Glycin, Iv'e tried a great number of times to use it in a developer formula to print for it is supposed to give a red tone to one's print. It's an old
Kodak formula:
H2O 750 mls
Sod Sulfite 25 grams
Glycin 4 "
Sod Carb 30.4 "
Pot Brom 1 "
to make 1 liter
Dilute 1:2 w/water

Exposures must be adjusted and color is determined by length of development.

I wonder if you have a citation to this formula? Some of Kodak's very early formulae had no numbers, this may be one of them. The only later Kodak glycin formula I can find is D-78, a film developer. Agfa had a couple of developers using glycin, Agfa/Ansco 130 and Agfa/Ansco 115. Neither use glycin alone. Glycin was popular in the 1930's and 1940's in conjunction with paraphenylenediamine for very fine grain film developers. PPD alone is too low contrast and loses to much speed. Glycin evidently makes a decent fine grain developer on its own.
One problem with the very warm tone developers using hydroquinone alone or with glycin is that when diluted to yield the warmest tones they do not produce good blacks even when the paper is given very high exposures. AGFA 115 is better in this respect than AGFA 110, a hydroquinone only developer.
Note that AGFA had some developer formulas published in Germany and England with the same numbers but different contents than those published in the USA. This can lead to some confusion.
AGFA 130 was sold in cans as a good, general purpose, paper developer which was supposed to have greater capacity than Kodak D-72 (Dektol). Some find it less likely to give a green color to some papers. Actually, 130 is nearly identical to D-72 with the addition of 11 grams of glycin per liter of stock and 5 grams per liter of bromide instead of the 2 grams per liter in D-72. So, you can probably get just about identical results by adding the glycin and a bit of bromide to Dektol.
Glycin has gotten expensive and somewhat difficult to obtain.

--
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA