U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: Custom color-separations in Photoshop?

Re: Custom color-separations in Photoshop?

Hi,

I was looking into the multiple separations a while back, I cam across
this fellow whose tried out the 6 color Hexachrome route:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/herbhoover/sets/72157600002518379/
Though he had a tough time with the last 6th layer for some reason, it
would ruin the print?
I'm unsure about spot color, though if someone knows how it works in
Photoshop to get the accuracy of what colors you want for each
sepaaration please chime in. I presume getting the correct selection
of color via photoshop is the most important part? Then applying the
appropriate color to that selection..

My original idea using separate colors was to find out where colors
fall in the color gamut and figure out how to increase the gamut with
extra color separations. Say to use a more saturated green separation
to a forest photo.
If I were successful in producing a green separation would I then
increase the color gamut of the photograph with a specific green water
color? Is it possible to do this? I'm sure there is a way and possibly
spot colors is the way to go...
Jacek

Quoting Keith Gerling <keith.gerling@gmail.com>:

That is an interesting use of the B&W app. I'll have to look into that.

The reason why my original thought about custom separations is not
feasible is that one cannot get any pure primaries - red, yellow, blue
- from a pallette that uses purple, green and orange. I'm thinking
that Hexachrome separations might be interesting. Or, use a custom POG
seperation and then use spot channels to add the primaries where
needed.

On Sun, Jan 25, 2009 at 11:22 AM, Marek Matusz