U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: what about pva sizing?

Re: what about pva sizing?

I don't know about pt/pd or other processes, but I've been trying it
for gum and so far not pleased with the results. Apparently I don't
have Jim's magic touch, or something. I believe Jim uses it at full
strength (if I have that wrong, please correct) but at full strength
I get a grainy image (will scan example later if I remember to get it
when I go downstairs) that isn't acceptable to me; I also dislike the
high shine. Have also tried it at half strength and 1/3 strength but
didn't like those either, I forget now why. Would need to go down
and look at test prints to refresh my memory. All I know is, none of
my experiments with Gamblin PVA sizing for gum were satisfactory to
me, and I've gone back to gelatin and glyoxal. This was on Arches
bright white, a very hard, crisp-surfaced paper; I suspect it may
work better on a more absorbent paper.
Katharine