U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: gesso for watercolor?

Re: gesso for watercolor?

phritz, Gamblin PVA is polyvinyl acetate, a light translucent gum-
looking liquid used mostly as a glue. Several people, motivated by
Jim's success using it as a sizing for gum, have taken it up; I
suspect I'm the only one who hasn't been pleased with it, so I
wouldn't weigh my observations too heavily.

Several people have used acrylic gesso (white ground usually used as
a ground for painting) as a size for gum. Gesso mixed with gelatin
is one of my favorite sizes for gum, as far as liking the way the
print looks, but I haven't used it much because it's messy and
because I've been unsure about archivality of the unusual mixture.

Recently Keith Gerling and Loris Medici traded observations about
gesso in various combinations as a sub for gum on wood and on
aluminum ; you should be able to find that thread in the recent archives

http://www.usask.ca/lists/alt-photo-process-l/

or maybe they'll chime in to answer here.
Katharine