U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: Artists' tape

Re: Artists' tape

Judy wrote:

For what it's worth I mention that I've made my own "artist's" tape for defining edges of a coat of emulsion -- by mixing Rhoplex N580 (whatever that is, about which more in a moment) with maybe 20% water to about the consistency of heavy cream and coating on one side of clear plastic strips that I cut to size and shape

So what is "Rhoplex" anyway? The name is so familiar it could be anything.
It is a water-based acrylic adhesive made by Rohm & Haas, sold for use "neat" or as a formulating base. Interestingly, R&H says, "RHOPLEX N-580 is suggested for use where permanent pressure-sensitive bonds are required." See:


Here is a short blurb from the Talas page:

An aqueous acrylic emulsion, providing excellent adhesion on paper, fabric and hard to bond surfaces. Can be used as a contact adhesive. Used commonly to bond light weight papers such as tissues and newsprint without cockling in collage and chine colle, pH 8.4 with a high molecular weight. (From: http://apps.webcreate.com/ecom/catalog/product_specific.cfm?ClientID=15&ProductID=17838)
Talas lists Wheat Paste and Methyl Cellulose as "related products."

Best regards,


  • Follow-Ups: