U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: Anybody experimented with Argyrotypes?

Re: Anybody experimented with Argyrotypes?

Loris,

If I needed 3 ml, then I would use 1.5 ml plus 1.5 ml water. This
eliminates the "bleeding" in the first wash. The stretching of
chemical cost to half is not unwelcome either.

What gold formula do you use? I used Clerc's, which worked well but it
bleached the lightest tones a little and left the highlight a little
cooler than I sometime would like. Wish I could find a warmer toner.

At one time I used Nelson's gold toner for vandyke - the first few
prints were OK but next few were nice and red. Used further it became
unsatisfactory again. I suspect it was the thiosulfite that gave it
the deep red, but it would take just the right amount. I don't have
enough chemistry background to pursue it further. But if it worked for
vandyke I imagine it would work with Argyrotype as well.

Sam