U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: another 3 layer gum attempt

Re: another 3 layer gum attempt

Hi Joe / Paul,

I use negatives with a DR of log 1.5 for gum. (DR is absolute dmax - dmin
of negative in this context; nothing related to zones...) That is exactly
what I need for 2A+1B traditional cyanotype -> because I don't calibrate
for gum, I just use negatives calibrated for 2A+1B cyanotype when printing
gum. Works extremely well. (And is very practical to me since I often
combine gum and cyanotype so I don't have to print two separate negatives
for that purpose...) As a matter of fact I couldn't get satisfactory
shadow detail with lower DR negatives. (That is thin negatives, something
like log 0.9 - 1.0 as suggested by many others...) Anyway, that's me, my
incompetence(!) ;) -> see it for yourself.

Will let Christina write about it (since she has vast experience/knowledge
about calibrating diginegs for gum), but I should mention that "to me"
it's a tiring process which in the end you have to act within very
specific limits, taking out a lot of the flexibility gum printing
provides...