Re: Three-color gum prints

From: lva (lva@pamho.net)
Date: 09/07/00-01:45:57 PM Z

Hi Cactus Cowboy,

>What exactly will you get from processing E-6 film in C-41? A 'color
>neg. without the orange mask (hopefully)?

Yes. There's a very slight orange mask, but I believe it's negligible.

>Can you rely on the color
>being accurate?

No. I'm not concerned with color accuracy.

>The big disadvantage I see from this approach is the
>radically increased exposure time onto your gum emulsion (due to
>filters sandwiched with the negative).

Shouldn't be that bad. Current exposures range from 90 to 120 seconds. A
Wratten 25 filter would turn that into 12 minutes. Not that bad.

>I have made full color gum prints.

Can we see some?

>It's been a few years since I've printed gum. Is anybody out there
>making color seps on a computer, and printing onto clear film in a
>laser printer? Is this feasible, or am I only dreaming?

I wouldn't like the raster. Of course, one can output to an imagesetter
and use stochastic (random) dots. That is a possibility I am also
considering, but I've got some kind of a hang-up, using computers and
imagesetters seems to interfere with my vision of a truly simple
process. The 5000 Watt plate making device I am using for exposure of
the gum emulsion is already too much hi-tech. I'd prefer to use the sun,
but it doesn't shine so much around here, unlike your desert paradise
with dream-darkroom.

If I had the time I'd like to make the paper myself and grow an acacia
tree:)

Brahma