pigments and more

From: lva (lva@pamho.net)
Date: 10/01/01-01:53:26 PM Z

Richard Sullivan wrote:

> Now for a second issue: This is a lot of trouble compared to buying a
> tube of W+N but I think that for many here that is not the point. Part
> of the joy of alt photo is the "I did it myself" sense of
> satisfaction. There is among us those with the desire to reduce the
> technological depth of the processes, that is to be able to make as as
> much of the print as they can themselves. I suspect if I were a
> dedicated gum printer it might even be fun to dig some ochre in Italy,
> grind it, and re sediment it myself. Nutty? Sure. But there is some
> absurd satisfaction in knowing you dug the umber out of an abandoned
> Roman mine in Umbria. There is the satisfaction of having learned
> something about pigments in general. Great for party talk: "Sure I'm a
> photographer, just got back from digging some pigment out of the hills
> in Umbria...."

Richard, you understand alternative!!!

It's not *that* absurd a satisfaction to find and grind your own
pigments. It's like growing your own food. Nothing beats that. You know
what you put in the earth. You know you didn't alter any genes or almost
kill the plant with chemicals. You develop kind of a relationship with
that plant. Hey, plants are living entities as well! Plants can see,
amongst many other things.

Hey, and I did dig for ochres yesterday, in Sweden of all places. It
seems good pigments are available even here. I've found a great sienna.
Gets fiery red when I burn it. Prints beautifully.

But, boy, does that bathroom look bad now...

Brahma