Inkjet transparencies for Pt/Pd and Cyanotype

From: David Oliver (david.oliver@xtra.co.nz)
Date: 03/08/02-03:44:41 AM Z

Dare I ask another computer-related question? Well, about making desktop
negatives, and Judy has suggested that negatives are the real problem today.

Having just set myself up with UV box, printing frame, cyanotype kit, Pt/Pd
kit, etc, I am about to run some step wedge tests for my setup and paper. I
will be printing inkjet negatives onto Pictorico film using an Epson 1290,
and following Dan B's excellent book. I have some digital step wedges I
will apply the relevant curves to and then expose for different times to
determine the best exposure time.

Dan has two methods of creating a spectral density negative - the "colorize"
method and the "color table" method. Any recommendations on which method
might be better? Can the color table method really produce a negative with
enough density?

I would also like to check on the best CYMK color to use for both Pt/Pd and
Cyanotype. Dan suggests 0/71/71/0 in his book, but the CD that comes with
the book mentions 0/51/51/0 also. Has anyone refined this any further?
Would I need to check different colors for Pt/Pd and Cyanotype, or would
they react similarly?

David