Re: Another Ziatype question

From: Sandy King ^lt;sanking@clemson.edu>
Date: 10/11/04-06:39:27 PM Z

Dick Arentz' formula for the ferric oxalate solution A calls for the
addition of about 1.5% by weight of oxalic acid.

Jeffrey Mathias also tested the addition of oxalic acid in amounts
ranging from 1-10% and suggests that benefits may be seen in amounts
from 2-5%. I don't recall that he mentions any improvement in Dmax
but when I tested this I found a slight increase, about log 0.07, in
Dmax using both Stonhenge and Lennox papers.

As for the oxalic acid soak, I have had problems with several papers,
including Stonhenge, using the soak. The soak appears to break down
and remove the surface sizing, the result being a more granular or
textured look. On another forum Clay mentioned that the papers that
benefit most from an oxalic acid soak are those that are heavily
sized, "floaters" as he calls them.

Note: my comments are about DOP Pt./Pd and may not apply to ziatype.

Sandy