Re: Author frustration.

From: Ryuji Suzuki ^lt;rs@silvergrain.org>
Date: 01/15/05-02:03:17 PM Z

From: Eric Neilsen <e.neilsen@worldnet.att.net>
Subject: RE: Author frustration.
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2005 09:49:26 -0600

> And here we see where publishing is going - Photo Blogs! At a very
> low level, I see the forums on the net as blogs and good quality web
> sites as a step up. There is nothing stopping any one from
> publishing their articles on their own site. It can be in PDF form
> or whatever.

I agree this is a viable (and commonly used) option.

> Then submit it to the mags for future review or paper publishing.

I don't know about publishers that take forever to return a phone
call, or make a phone call to a manufacturer for fact checking, but as
far as I know "usual" publishers explicitly want the article be
unpublished. That's the problem.

Another option is to use an on-demand printing service. You send them
a PDF file of the book, and advertise the storefront link. People go
and order a copy with credit card number. They print a copy and
ship. You get several per cents of that money. While it's not a lot of
money, you don't have to feel like giving it away for free, and you
don't have to pay for thousands of copies upfront.

--
Ryuji Suzuki
"People seldom do what they believe in.  They do what is convenient,