View camera vs. field camera ( was RE: A couple of questions.)

From: Ehud Yaniv ^lt;eyaniv@telus.net>
Date: 07/05/05-06:40:01 PM Z

-----Original Message-----
From: mmatusz@pdq.net [mailto:mmatusz@pdq.net]
Sent: July 5, 2005 12:34 PM
To: alt-photo-process-l@sask.usask.ca
Subject: RE: A couple of questions.

Oody,
I own a 4x5 Toyo view field camera. I would highly recommend it for a
starter view camera. All solid metal construction, yet lightweight and
portable. It folds into a neat little box for transport and storage. I
have taken it on many backpacking trips and taken hundreds of photos with
it. If you plan to go outside of the studio with your camerra it is the
way to go. You can get a used model, or even look at new. Older models
have swichable back (for horizontal and vertical orentation), newer models
have rotating backs.

Marek Matusz

Marek and all,

Thanks for the answers. It is really helping.

Now, what are the real, functional, differences between a view and field
camera other than the package? Do both have the same shifts, swings, etc.)
I will be using my new camera both in and out in the field but I would like
to do a lot of still life.

Thanks again.

Oody