Re: View camera vs. field camera ( was RE: A couple of questions.)

From: Richard Knoppow ^lt;dickburk@ix.netcom.com>
Date: 07/05/05-07:53:18 PM Z

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ehud Yaniv" <eyaniv@telus.net>
To: <alt-photo-process-l@sask.usask.ca>
Sent: Tuesday, July 05, 2005 5:40 PM
Subject: View camera vs. field camera ( was RE: A couple of
questions.)

> Marek and all,
>
> Thanks for the answers. It is really helping.
>
> Now, what are the real, functional, differences between a
> view and field
> camera other than the package? Do both have the same
> shifts, swings, etc.)
> I will be using my new camera both in and out in the field
> but I would like
> to do a lot of still life.
>
> Thanks again.
>
> Oody

   There isn't any, they are two names for the same thing.
However, generally field camera is used for view cameras
which are relatively light and compact. View/Field cameras
take two forms: folding bed or flat bed cameras, and
monorail cameras. Flat bed cameras generally fold so are
more compact to carry. Typically monorail cameras have more
movements but not always. There are rare cameras which do
not fit either catagory, for instance double rail cameras,
but they are few.
   My recommendation for a starter view camera is the
Calumet CC-400. This camera was also made by others
including Kodak (as the 4x5 Master View) and Burke & James
(Orbit camera) but all are essentially the same. Its a
fairly simple monorail camera. Not the best choice for field
use because it doesn't fold but it has virtually unlimited
movements and is quite rugged. It also has the virtue of
usually being quite cheap on the used market, perhaps
because it has no glamour whatever. Speed and Crown Graphics
are light weight but have very limited movements and limited
bellows draw (11-1/2 inches). The Graphic View II is another
camera of good quality that turns up used pretty often at
attractive prices. Avoid the Graphic View I because it has
more limited bellows draw and different movements.
   I happen to be a fan of Graphic cameras but they are no
substitute for a view camera.
   While many recommend the Crown Graphic I actually find I
use the focal plane shutter in the Speed Graphic. Also,
because so many people want the Crown the Speed is usually
cheaper. Curiously enough the Crown was the economy model.
Crown Graphics originated with the Pacemaker series in 1947,
there was no equivalent camera before this, only the Speed
Graphic. The older Anniversary model of the Speed Graphic is
a perfectly good camera but does not have the front tilt
feature introduced in the Pacemaker series. Again, if you
want this sort of stuff its better to get a real view
camera.

---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA