From: Christina Z. Anderson [mailto:zphoto@montana.net]
Sent: Friday, January 18, 2008 10:44 PM
To: Alt, List
Subject: Re: Coating Without a Machine

Agreed, Richard.

I had a person translate German text for me a couple years ago (who since
has had a baby and is no longer doing so) who translated gum print as a
rubber print.  Lotsa condoms in that text and that word is not in my French
dictionary :)  Something like "en passant" which translates "in passing"
really is equivalent to our "by the way" which doesn't relate textually at
all.

Anyway, I am so excited because my Amergraph exposure unit just came--at 7
PM....in a snowstorm....in an 18 wheeler....and FedEx even helped carry it
in because he was so late!

Back to work--no rest for the procrastinator...
Chris

   A brief off topic comment here if I may. I think
translation must be one of the most difficult things to do
there is. This judgement is based on translated novels. One
can compare translations of some classic works from French
or Russian such as _War and Peace_ to see just how much they
can differ. I also read detective stories. One of the most
popular series is by Georges Simenon. The originals are
written in French, many different translators have worked on
English versions, the quality of their work varies from
excellent to unreadable. It gives a clue as to how much
trouble there can be in translating even something as short
as a post to a mailing list.
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA
dickburk@ix.netcom.com