U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: Mac OS X Leopard

Re: Mac OS X Leopard

From: Dan Burkholder <fdanb@aol.com>
Subject: Re: Mac OS X Leopard (Re: new problem)
Date: Wed, 06 Feb 2008 22:34:33 -0500

> The color management is more limited for one.

I'm more familiar with using Preview for PDF files, but the
capability of Preview (on Tiger anyway) is limited and the
rendering is sometimes inaccurate when compared to Acrobat 7
or 8. Preview is ok for web-quality text but nothing more
serious.

Back to the original point, Diana. I think you might want to
look into Gutenprint (used to be called gimp-print). This is a
print module and a collection of printer driver for
gimp. MacOS comes with CUPS printer system and many printer
drivers from gimp-print, but they should provide a more direct
user interface than going through Preview.

> it's relegated here in the land of Rip Van Winkle to casual
> viewing of jpegs and pdfs...

There is a fine Kentucky whiskey label called Rip Van
Winkle. Their bourbon and rye whiskey are excellent and I buy
them as a means of inflation hedge. (But I drink them anyway.)
I also buy silver nitrate, Rhum Barbancourt, and parmigiano
reggiano for inflation hedging. However, when the inflation
gets worse than it is now, I'll consume them all myself and
escape to Italia or Haiti.

--
Ryuji Suzuki
"People seldom do what they believe in.  They do what is convenient,