U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: Mac OS X Leopard (Re: new problem)

Re: Mac OS X Leopard (Re: new problem)

Can you explain why printing straight from Preview is printing "to a lowest common denominator?" What are the limitations?
The color management is more limited for one. As I mentioned, today was the first time I've ever printed from Preview (it's relegated here in the land of Rip Van Winkle to casual viewing of jpegs and pdfs) but I don't see any place to choose a profile for your paper. When you print from Photoshop, you can see the image change (in the print dialog box) as you alter Profile, Rendering intent, Black Point Compensation and such. That can be a handy feature for color-critical work. To be honest, I'm not a fan of the Epson driver at all so all my digital printing is via ImagePrint, but that's extra (and not cheap) software that only pays for itself in terms of ink, paper and time (especially the latter) if you do a good bit of inkjet printing. I do make digital negs via the Epson driver however.

I would be curious to know, though, why you think think I've "handicapped" myself? Under Tiger and under Leopard, I scale the image directly in GIMP; I then put it in Preview to print. (I do so, because I cannot print to the 3800 directly from the GIMP. Don't ask me why.)
I think you answered your own question. If you can't print from Gimp to the 3800, you're...handicapped.

Also, how would "professional level image scaling" in Photoshop differ from that in Preview?
Personally, I'd never recommend "scaling" an image at the printing stage except for proofing. If you've properly sharpened your image at it's final desired print size, you can do no good by changing its size in the print dialog box. But I'll be the first to agree that you can't argue with success. If you've had good results in the past with whatever system you're using, it's obviously working. As such, it makes sense that you're loath to be forced to alter your methods.

Oh, just checked and the Epson 3800 driver version here is 3.57. I have no idea if that's beta, capa or dominica in origin.

If this is too off-topic for people, feel free to write off-list.
For goodness sake, let's hope nobody gets in a dither over having to ignore a subject or hitting delete. ;^)

Hope the new driver gets you back on track. If you ever consider ImagePrint, drop me a line off list because (and this is top secret...not) I can save you some money.

Best,

Dan

info@DanBurkholder.com
www.DanBurkholder.com