U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: Gum calibration (was: Paper negatives- Ink Selection)

Re: Gum calibration (was: Paper negatives- Ink Selection)

Keith, if I could jump in here, I've never seen any particular
correlation between how the print looks after exposure (whether you
can see an image in the undeveloped print) and the quality or
tonality of the developed print, and I used to puzzle about that
quite a lot, years ago, why sometimes I could and sometimes I
couldn't see an image after exposure, and how little difference a
visible image after exposure seemed to make as far as the final
product. I'm tempted to speculate that a more contrasty negative,
like Loris's and like the ones I used in those early years (laser
printer negatives) would be more likely to produce a visible image
after exposure, but since that's the only kind of negative I ever
used in those days and I didn't always get a visible image after
exposure, that couldn't be a sufficient explanation. The negatives
I use now are very thin and after exposure there's never any evident
image at all, but they print a full tonal range. I'd need to see
the print after development; in my experience the print before
development doesn't tell me anything useful at all. Just my 2cents,
Katharine