U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: acorns(!)

Re: acorns(!)

I agree with Marek; this goes back to what I said about an earlier post of Loris's, that the eye and mind together "read" a wide variety of color palettes as "realistic color" as long as the tonal relationships are proportionally accurate.

Loris, thanks for your answers to my questions, which support my earlier thought that I don't believe this is stain (maybe even in the specular highlight on top of the acorn) I think it's just the same thing we were talking about before, that the graininess of the paper negative scatters the color into discrete dots rather than the continuous mixed color that you'd get by overlaying continuous gum layers over each other. I agree with Marek that the pointillistic effect is very attractive and could be exploited to good effect, but as long as you use the negatives you use, you're always going to get this color scattering in all but the darkest areas, where it is obscured because the pigment is laid down densely enough in all the layers so that the spaces between the dots don't show. There's absolutely nothing wrong with this pointillistic effect, but it seems to me it would make it more difficult to achieve your other goal of achieving a perfect tonal scale in perfect neutral greys this way. The two effects seem, maybe not mutually exclusive, but certainly not very mutually compatible either. Just a thought.
Katharine