U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | RE: gum negatives redux

RE: gum negatives redux

Hi Paul,

Yes half the dichromate would increase the contrast, just as I want for
shadow exposures -> I like nice open tones in the shadows, not mud...

Since I use half the dichromate, the natural consequence of this would be
incresing the exposure time since the coating solution is much less
sensitive compared to normal mixtures. If I don't, I have the same problem
as you have -> a layer that goes down to the drain after normal development.
And I really don't like to develop shorter than 20-30 minutes -> short
developed layers don't give me enough confidence somehow. (In case I need
another layer on top of it and maybe would like to intervente manually...)
1.5 - 2x is compared to normal exposure. I really don't have a highlight
exposure; only normal and shadow exposure.

BTW, I will change the normal exposure time (by 1/3 stop steps) depending on
image, purpose, layer, pigment load and color. Nothing scientific there,
just by feeling. It's really hard to get used to that "feeling" stuff after
long years of printing S/G or highly consistent iron processes... But you'll
arrive there, don't worry. Gum's like Zen!

Also, I'm never afraid of overexposing, thanks to Marek's "bleach
development" method -> if a layer doesn't develop nicely I convince with few
mililiters of bleach! ;) Works perfectly. Therefore, I always try to err on
the overexposure side instead of underexposure...