Re: (Gum) Multi prints???

From: TERRYAKING@aol.com
Date: 12/13/05-04:24:53 PM Z

gauvreau-yves@sympatico.ca writes:

Terry,

You are the one that caused me to ask this question again. When I read the
0.7 density you mention here and on your web site, after seeing up to 1.20
from other source and from the number I got from my own test, all this got me to
question the hole process. Was it because it as always been done that way or
is there some logical explanation for this multiple exposure stuff.

I think I like best Toms explanation so far.

Thanks
Yves

Yves

2.8, 1.2, 1.0 are all densities for negatives you could use for making a
gum print. If you want a negative that is going to give you the best gradation
 0.7 is the ideal density range for gum. Each of these processes has an
ideal negative. If you use a negative of anything other than that ideal range you
will either have to stretch or compress that gradation whivh reduces the
quality of the print.

Clearly that ideal negative, 0.7, for gum printing is not going to produce a
very exciting image. Accordingly you have to give multiple printings to
build the contarast. If you make a normal print and then repeat the printing on
top of the first, the highlights will stay much the same while the middle
tones will become darker and the shadows darker still. Using the method I
suggested makes this process easier.

This is not theory. This is simple, practical, demonstrable fact. If you
were to come on one of my gum workshops I would show you.

Where are you ?

I do not know what Tom said but if it cannot be interpreted in this way you
are being given a bum steer.

Terry

Terry King FRPS

RPS Historical Group (Chairman)