U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: Anybody experimented with Argyrotypes?

Re: Anybody experimented with Argyrotypes?

I must add that colloidal silver prints toned in noble metals are also
pretty stable - given the toning was done thoroughly. If you screw up w/
pt/pd prints, you put dollars in the trash. On the other hand, you can
tone a successful colloidal silver print in a noble metal toner of your
choice w/o risking to trash precious noble metals. If you screw up with
the silver print you can trash it more easily and then restart, iterate
until you have a print worth to tone...

But it must be noted that about half the cost of a fine print will come
from paper, not chemistry only!

28 Nisan 2009, Salı, 12:18 am tarihinde, Loris Medici yazmış:
> Fernando, pt/pd is an acronym(?) for Platinum/Palladium printing. It's
> similar to Argyrotype - where the light sensitive compound is an iron salt
> (albeit different one/s), but in the Platinum/Palladium process the image
> is formed by colloidal noble metals: pure palladium or platinum/palladium
> mixture or pure platinum (pure platinum prints are somehow harder to do
> BTW...) In Argyrotype the image is formed by colloidal silver. The
> advantage of pt/pd is that the image is very stable compared to silver,
> the disadvantage is price -> colloidal silver images cost in terms of
> cents but pt/pd images will cost you in terms of dollars (not taking paper
> into account)... Also, I (subjectively) like more the tonality I can get
> from pt/pd prints.
>
> Regards,
> Loris.
>

> 27 Nisan 2009, Pazartesi, 11:29 pm tarihinde, fernando cruz florez yazmış:
>> Loris,
>> I've been following this thread with interest... great tips and good to
>> see
>> others also experimenting with these processes.
>>
>> I was just wondering what you were referring to with "pt/pd". I get the
>> feeling it's going to be another technique to look into ...
>>

>> 2009/4/21 Loris Medici <mail@loris.medici.name>
>>
>>> I see. Let's hope Sam's nice suggestion works for you then -> if you're
>>> still interested in making Agryrotypes, that is. Also definitely try
>>> COT
>>> 320 (for whatever iron process), it's a really good paper. (If they