Large paper negative step wedge

From: Grafist@aol.com
Date: 03/25/04-02:52:20 AM Z

Hi Folks, Shortly, I will be giving my 12 X 16 camera its first run with
paper negative material. Having worked with 10 X 8 paper negs in the past I have
found few problems with exposure. Lucky guess work, I guess.

It has occured to me that Jose Ortiz Echague was reported to have used paper
negs throughout his career to produce his vaste number of prints in Direct
Carbon. I dont suppose he ever used a step wedge. Just trial and error with him,
but I suspect that someone, somewhere has heard of using this very useful
tool with balancing their prints from paper negatives.
           I dont imagine that such a thing is available from mass produced
sources. So,guess I will have to make one myself. Seem to remember that Dr.Max
Thorek wrote something on paper negatives in one of the American Annual of
Photography year books back in the thirties.
            Also, I believe Andrew Sanderson has quite recently had a book
published dealing with paper neg work. Has anyone seen this?

                               John Grocott- photographist