Satista

mmatusz@pdq.net
Date: 04/21/03-09:30:04 PM Z

Amy,
Sorry for the delay. I did not pay any attention to e-mails during Easter
weekend. Hereis my recipe:
Satista prints:
Papers that wok for me: Arches platine, Bergger COT320 (from Bostick and
Sullivan)
Sensitizer: Ferric ammonium oxalate, 40% solution, standard platinum
solution used in platinum or platinum – palladium printing (20% K2PtCl4),
A standard sensitizer formula for an 8x10 print is as follows: 1 drop of
Pt solution, 25 to 30 drops of FAO solution. I coat with a push rod.. You
can use more platinum, for example 4 drops, I have also used as little as
1 drop of 5% platinum solution (talking about economy now!). More platinum
will give blacker print, less platinum tends to give browner prints. Dry
very well. For best results there should be no moisture left in the paper.
Develop in 4% silver nitrate solution. Silver nitrate will store
indefinitely if made with distilled water and stored in the dark. Remember
silver nitrate will stain everyting that comes in contact with. Printing
is very fast. I have a bank of 6 20W lights and a typical time might be 2
minutes. There is no visible image after exposure so test strips are
necessary.
My development method is the same as coating method. With a plastic eye
dropper pour about 4 cc of silver nitrate solution on top of the print and
using the push rod spread it evenly over the entire print in one single
pass. Remember there should be excess developer or else uneven development
will take place. On some papers you can move the developer a few times,
but some papers do not take it well. This is fairly simple once you
practiced it. Let it sit for a minute or two and wash the pint with water
until the milkiness is gone, say 5 minutes. Clear the print in Na4EDTA
solution or Kodak clearing bath, wash some more. At this point you could
do gold or palladium toning. Residual silver is removed in 10% sodium
thiosulfate bath. Images do not bleach, but there is no reason to soak
them very long. This step might not even be necessary, but I have not
tested.
Marek